If not now, when? incorporates my new blog with my original posts. It has been a long time….,
It has been a long time since I last posted. I spent that time pursuing a passion to help others, specifically caregivers. I studied and sought mentorship. Is it an appropriate time to launch? The answer I keep coming back to: If not now, when?
Why do this?
- Four years ago I was working full-time and became the caregiver for both my mother who had a terminal disease and another family member with early onset dementia.
- I found help for my mother and support for myself
- I could not find the same level of support for early onset dementia
- I was told more than once “you are in a difficult situation because of age (54 at the time)”
- I was told many times “sorry we cannot help”
- I would not take “no” for an answer and kept searching
- I found the process of seeking help and support exhausting and difficult to juggle work
Help is out there but not easy to find nor is it 100% fit for early onset dementia. Often I felt alone and at times angry that this demographic with an incurable disease is under-supported. My family member is safe right now and that helps me sleep better. Yet I still have work to do to make sure the needed support will continue.
I want to share what I have learned and help others manage caregiving. That is now my passion.
HartFelt wishes for all caregivers that you find the support you need…..